Friday 30 March 2012

The pursuit of crappyness - Revisited

Why is bad funny?

It just is.

As I've said in a number of previous posts, I am an avid collector of bad films, bad poetry, bad music and bad everything else. My study/studio is crammed with horrible pottery and ornaments found in charity shops. My iTunes directory is stuffed full of Mrs Miller, The Legendary Stardust Cowboy, William Hung and Florence Foster Jenkins. I even managed recently to source the music that used to play behind ceefax on the BBC. I watch awful films like The Navy versus the Night Monsters, Sharktopus, Nude Nuns with Big Guns and the deliciously named Sex Mission. I love to take part in bad poetry readings. In fact, here's me reading what I consider to be the very worst poem ever written - A Tragedy by Theophile Marzials:



I reckon Stephen Pile got it right when he wrote:

'Success is overrated. Everyone craves it despite daily proof that Man's real genius lies in quite the opposite direction. Incompetence is what we are good at: it is the quality that marks us off from animals and we should learn to revere it.'

Pile started a club called The Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain to celebrate cruddiness but was then sacked from the President's post because his Book of Heroic Failures was such a big success.

If you want to read my previous posts on the joy of being crappy do read here (where you'll find a link to the late great Kenny Everett's Bottom 30 radio shows), here or here. Meanwhile, here are some of the worst album covers I've ever seen. You can see more here and here. Aren't they wonderful? Crappy is the new Cool.

Quim

My Pussy Belongs To Daddy

My lips are for blowing

No comments:

Post a Comment